- 2000 – Ph.D. Molecular Epidemiology, Johns Hopkins University.
- 1994 – Integrative Biology, University of California, Berkeley.
- Vice-Chair for Public Health Education and Interim Global Health Division Chief for the Department of Family Medicine & Public Health.
- Co-directs the Global Health track of the SDSU/UCSD Joint Doctoral Program in Public Health
- Affiliated Researcher at CISIDAT.
- HIV/AIDS, Vector-borne diseases, Tropical parasitic diseases, Substance Use, Refugee Health, Migrant Health, Access to and Retention in Healthcare, Research Mixed Methods, Spatial and Social epidemiology, Infectious Disease epidemiology
- She is currently collaborating with Mexican and Guatemalan officials in studies on substance use, HIV, and sexually transmitted infections in an effort to inform appropriate public health interventions.