- 1987 – PhD – Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley.
- 1983 – MPH – Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley.
- 1974 – BA – Child Development and Education, Colgate University, Hamilton New York.
- Director of international research for the UCSF AIDS Research Institute
- Co-director of the UCSF Center for Reproductive Health Research and Policy
- Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology
- She served as vice chair of the University of California task force on AIDS
- Epidemiology and prevention of sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.
- Reproductive health.
- Design of public health interventions.
- Impact evaluation.
- Nine years ago, in collaboration with colleagues at the University of Zimbabwe, she founded the UZ-UCSF Collaborative Research Program in Women’s Health, located in Zimbabwe where she currently has several research projects. She is developing similar programs in India and in Mexico.
- Dr. Padian is a frequent participant in annual NIH Office of AIDS Research planning workshops and chaired the committee on international priorities for the last two years. She serves on the NIH AIDS epidemiology study section and is an elected member to the American Epidemiology Society.