- 1987 – PhD – Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley.
- 1983 – MPH – Epidemiology, School of Public Health, University of California, Berkeley.
- 1974 – BA – Child Development and Education, Colgate University, Hamilton New York.
- Director of international research for the UCSF AIDS Research Institute
- Co-director of the UCSF Center for Reproductive Health Research and Policy
- Adjunct Professor of Epidemiology
- She served as vice chair of the University of California task force on AIDS
- Epidemiology and prevention of sexually transmitted infections, including HIV.
- Reproductive health.
- Design of public health interventions.
- Impact evaluation.
- Nine years ago, in collaboration with colleagues at the University of Zimbabwe, she founded the UZ-UCSF Collaborative Research Program in Women’s Health, located in Zimbabwe where she currently has several research projects. She is developing similar programs in India and in Mexico.
- Dr. Padian is a frequent participant in annual NIH Office of AIDS Research planning workshops and chaired the committee on international priorities for the last two years. She serves on the NIH AIDS epidemiology study section and is an elected member to the American Epidemiology Society.
- The heterogeneous effect of short-term transfers for improving ART adherence among HIV-infected Tanzanian adults Kadota JL, Fahey CA, Njau PF, Kapologwe N, Padian NS, Dow WH, McCoy SI. AIDS Care. 2018;30(Suppl 3):18-26.
- Bridewealth and sexual and reproductive practices among women in Harare, Zimbabwe. Wojcicki JM, van der Straten A, Padian N. AIDS Care. 2010 Jun;22(6):705-10.
- Rationale and design of a randomized study of short-term food and cash assistance to improve adherence to antiretroviral therapy among food insecure HIV-infected adults in Tanzania. McCoy SI, Njau PF, Czaicki NL, Kadiyala S, Jewell NP, Dow WH, Padian NS. BMC Infect Dis. 2015 Oct 28;15:490.
- Oral and injectable contraception use and risk of HIV acquisition among women in sub-Saharan Africa. McCoy SI, Zheng W, Montgomery ET, Blanchard K, van der Straten A, de Bruyn G, Padian NS. AIDS. 2013 Mar 27;27(6):1001-9.
- Food insecurity, socioeconomic status, and HIV-related risk behavior among women in farming households in Tanzania. McCoy SI, Ralph LJ, Njau PF, Msolla MM, Padian NS. AIDS Behav. 2014 Jul;18(7):1224-36.
- Cash vs. food assistance to improve adherence to antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected adults in Tanzania. McCoy SI, Njau PF, Fahey C, Kapologwe N, Kadiyala S, Jewell NP, Dow WH, Padian NS. AIDS. 2017 Mar 27;31(6):815-825.
- Weighing the gold in the gold standard: challenges in HIV prevention research. Padian NS, McCoy SI, Balkus JE, Wasserheit JN. AIDS. 2010 Mar 13;24(5):621-35.
- Are hormonal contraceptive users more likely to misreport unprotected sex? Evidence from a biomarker validation study in Zimbabwe. McCoy SI, Ralph LJ, Padian NS, Minnis AM. AIDS Behav. 2014 Dec;18(12):2259-64.
- Nonadherence to antiretroviral therapy among HIV-infected patients in Zambia is concentrated among a minority of patients and is highly variable across clinics. Czaicki NL, Holmes CB, Sikazwe I, Bolton C, Savory T, Wa Mwanza M, Moyo C, Padian NS, Geng EH. AIDS. 2017 Mar 13;31(5):689-696.
- Improving the efficiency of HIV testing with peer recruitment, financial incentives, and the involvement of persons living with HIV infection. McCoy SI, Shiu K, Martz TE, Smith CD, Mattox L, Gluth DR, Murgai N, Martin M, Padian NS. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2013 Jun 1;63(2)