- 1985 – Doctorate in Population Studies, School of Public Health, Harvard University.
- 1981 – Master of Tropical Medicine, School of Public Health, Harvard University.
- 1980 – Master of Public Health, School of Public Health, Harvard University.
- 1978 – Medicine, School of Medicine, UNAM.
- Executive Director of the UCSF Institute for Global Health Sciences.
- Haile T. Distinguished Professor of Global Health.
- Member of the Harvard Board of Supervisors (2002 to 2008).
- HIV/AIDS, STI’s.
- AID’s, cholera, geographic information systems, epidemiological surveillance systems, ethics and health, health system reform, national health, nutrition and health surveys, vaccines, immunizations, implementation sciences, neglected tropical diseases, tobacco control, health maternal, child health.
- As a member of the Chancellor’s Executive Cabinet, he leads a team of more than 300 faculty and staff dedicated to translating UCSF’s scientific leadership into programs that positively impact health and reduce inequalities globally.
- Dr. Sepúlveda oversees several education and training programs, including the Master of Science in Global Health Sciences program, the first program of its kind in the nation, and the doctoral program in Global Health.
- Collaborative research and actions on both sides of the US-Mexico border to counteract type 2 diabetes in people of Mexican origin. Barquera S, Schillinger D, Aguilar-Salinas CA, Schenker M, Rodríguez LA, Hernández-Alcaraz C, Sepúlveda-Amor J; Mexico-California Diabetes collaborative group. Global Health. 2018 Aug 22;14(1):84.
- Cholesterol levels and prevalence of hypercholesterolemia in a Mexican adult population. Posadas-Romero C, Tapia-Conyer R, Lerman-Garber I, Zamora-González J, Cardoso-Saldaña G, Salvatierra-Izaba B, Sepúlveda-Amor JA. Atherosclerosis. 1995 Dec;118(2):275-84.
- Implementation and Operational Research: Effect of Universal Access to Antiretroviral Therapy on HIV/AIDS Mortality in Mexico 1990-2011. Hernández-Ávila JE, Palacio-Mejía LS, Hernández-Romieu A, Bautista-Arredondo S, Sepúlveda Amor J, Hernández-Ávila M. J Acquir Immune Defic Syndr. 2015 Jul 1;69(3):e100-8.
- [Geographical coverage of the Mexican Healthcare System and a spatial analysis of utilization of its General Hospitals in 1998]. Hernández-Avila JE, Rodríguez MH, Rodríguez NE, Santos R, Morales E, Cruz C, Sepúlveda-Amor J. Salud Publica Mex. 2002 Nov-Dec;44(6):519-32.
- Conclusions from the Mexican National Nutrition Survey 1999: translating results into nutrition policy. Rivera JA, Sepúlveda Amor J. Salud Publica Mex. 2003;45 Suppl 4:S565-75.
- Factors associated with overweight and obesity in Mexican school-age children: results from the National Nutrition Survey 1999. Hernández B, Cuevas-Nasu L, Shamah-Levy T, Monterrubio EA, Ramírez-Silva CI, García-Feregrino R, Rivera JA, Sepúlveda-Amor J. Salud Publica Mex. 2003;45 Suppl 4:S551-7.
- Nutritional status of indigenous children younger than five years of age in Mexico: results of a national probabilistic survey. Rivera JA, Monterrubio EA, González-Cossío T, García-Feregrino R, García-Guerra A, Sepúlveda-Amor J. Salud Publica Mex. 2003;45 Suppl 4:S466-76.