- 1985 – Doctorate in Population Studies, School of Public Health, Harvard University.
- 1981 – Master of Tropical Medicine, School of Public Health, Harvard University.
- 1980 – Master of Public Health, School of Public Health, Harvard University.
- 1978 – Medicine, School of Medicine, UNAM.
- Executive Director of the UCSF Institute for Global Health Sciences.
- Haile T. Distinguished Professor of Global Health.
- Member of the Harvard Board of Supervisors (2002 to 2008).
- HIV/AIDS, STI’s.
- AID’s, cholera, geographic information systems, epidemiological surveillance systems, ethics and health, health system reform, national health, nutrition and health surveys, vaccines, immunizations, implementation sciences, neglected tropical diseases, tobacco control, health maternal, child health.
- As a member of the Chancellor’s Executive Cabinet, he leads a team of more than 300 faculty and staff dedicated to translating UCSF’s scientific leadership into programs that positively impact health and reduce inequalities globally.
- Dr. Sepúlveda oversees several education and training programs, including the Master of Science in Global Health Sciences program, the first program of its kind in the nation, and the doctoral program in Global Health.